Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Friday, August 26, 2011

PP Road Ascent pre race thoughts

I am probably equally as excited as I am clueless about what to expect for the race Sunday morning.

It is the same Mountain as last Saturday - yet it is so completely different: course, climb, setting etc.

For comparison purposes....
PP Ascent: 13.31 miles
Road Ascent: 11.6 miles

PP Ascent: 7815' climb
Road Ascent: 3675' climb

PP Ascent: First mile or so, paved road, rest Mountain trail
Road Ascent: First 10 miles or so, paved road, last bit dirt road

PP Ascent: 1700+ finishers
Road Ascent: Capped at 700 entrants

PP Ascent: my finish time 3:49 and change
Road Ascent: I have no idea but guessing around 2 1/2 hours?

At the same on time this Sunday as the running race is taking place, cyclists are riding from Manitou Springs up the highway, past us runners all the way to the Summit.  The road is closed for all other traffic (aside from support vehicles).  Curious as to when the bikers start passing.

I feel a little like I stole my result from last Saturday.  Less then 40 miles of running training over a 2 1/2 week period.  It's not that I am now overconfident for this Sunday, but I am half expecting the wheels to fall off - big time.

I'll attempt to start off slow again, the first 1/3rd of the course is quite steep, the last 1/3rd is also.  The middle section is actually quite flat around the reservoir - so I'll try to run that well and if I have anything to push the last 4 miles or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment