Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"On your marks......."

4 days till I run the Ogden Marathon.  I chose to run this for several reasons. 

1) Elevation at the start line is 5400'.  Finish line is 4309'.  With the over 1000 ft drop, I figure that will help.  According to the elevation chart, Mile 20 to Mile 24 is a 600 ft drop.  By that time I very well could be ready to be a rolling stone gathering no moss.  In other words, I need all the help I can get.
2)  It's fairly close to home.  Flight is less than 1 1/2 hrs away.   After my first marathon I jumped on a plane and travelled for 2 days.  Even though that was 19 yrs ago, I still remember how painful it was.  At least this time I will run in the morning, be home later that same afternoon and can at least recouperate suffer in the comfort of my own home.
3)  I ran the American Discovery Trail marathon here in the Springs (from Palmer lake to near Downtown Springs) last Fall.   Even though I finished in 3:37:53, I wanted to and was on pace to beat 3:30 for the first 18 or so miles.  So I kind of consider that a failure and since then have wanted to beat that time.
4)  I have trained (I think) better than last Fall.  Sure my knees have not appreciated the pounding and at times I probably have either been at or crossed over the "overtraining to the point of injury" line.   But I have logged more miles, hills, used a more structured training plan - I think and hope it might pay off.
5)  I have a better race day plan this time.  That plan could also read goal.  Actually - I have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C.
Plan / Goal A = beat 3:37:53.  Avg pace needs to be 8:18 min miles
Plan / Goal B = beat 3:30:00.  Avg pace needs to be 8:00 min miles
Plan / Goal C = beat 3:27:00.  Avg pace needs to be 7:53 min miles
That would give me a PR.  Sure there is the wild dream of a BQ - which for me is 3:20:59.  That would require a faster than 7:40 pace.  I can't see that happening.

So I plan on starting out at the 8 min pace, keep that going for 16, 18, maybe even 20 miles.  If I can assess at either of those points that I could pick up the pace, maintain to the end - then I will and try get under the 3:27 mark.   If not, I think (also insert "hope") that 3:30 is reachable this time.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent. Be ready to make those teeth sweat from twenty on.

    ReplyDelete