Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Greenland Trail 25K Race Report

Nice day for a trail run.  Sure it was a little breezy, but it has been much worse there.  The temparature was about 50 at race start and warmed up to over 70 by the time I was done.  I had decided not to carry water - really could have used some more on the second lap.  50K race started at 8 am, 25K at 8:15 am and the 8 miler at 8:30 am.  This allowed for more people to be in each race.  I don't think it was too crowded although there were times that I'm sure some people got in the way of others.  I think there was about 300 in each race.

On to the race.... I had convinced myself that I shouldn't overdo it.  Goal finish time was 2:10 to 2:15.  Goal pace was to average 8:45 for the first 5 miles or so, to the top of the saddle, then bring it down to about 8:30 by the end of the first lap.  Then for the second lap to stay around that 8:30 pace till the end - I would  allow myself to drop the average a bit for the next 5 miles of up, but knowing I could likely bring it back down to 8:30 by finish time.  Pleased to say that I did just about all these. 

First lap felt good, about the only issue was sweat, mixed w/ sunscreen in the eyes.  Started out for the first mile at 8:50 pace, that was the most crowded it was all day but it kept me in check and set me up well.  Made it to the first aid station at mile 3 1/4 at 8:45 avg and I had not been passed by anyone since about mile 2, aside from a few leapfroggers - I left them behind on the uphills.  The uphills were good and strong and I maintained the 8:45 pace, passing quite a few 25K runners along w/ 50K runners also by this stage.  At the turnaround I even got to give a drive by kiss to my 5 yr old.  Half way turnaround time was just over 1:06 at an avg 8:30 pace.  Was taking 2 shot blocks at each aid station along w/ a cup of water.  The steady climb back to the last aid station I allowed myself to slide back to 8:40 avg pace as the temparature increased.  I was noticing more of the 25k runners starting to struggle, as did the 50k runners I was passing - I was getting thirsty but still doing okay on the hills.  I decided that today was definitely the day to not try do my first 50K race.

Made it to the 3rd and final aid station and walked through drinking 2 full cups of water and taking last 2 shot blocks.  The next mile was the steepest and with the distance already covered, plus the heat - really began to take it's toll on most runners that I was around and passing, including me.  I struggled a bit but stayed strong up the hill, avg pace dipped back to 8:45 by the time I reached the top of the saddle - I realized there that 2:10 finish time was out of reach, but 2:12 was doable - if I pushed it.  Was quite thirsty and really could have used fluids the rest of the way in.  Knees were holding up okay, feet were getting hot and tired.  Hit a good pace for the last 3+ miles.  That last mile was quite long as it is really not downhill but I was determined to just get done and see if I could still pass people. 

Final time was 2:11:52.  2nd lap was close to a minute faster than the 1st lap.  As of this moment I can't see official results, which I am more curious about than anything, knowing I didn't win anything but still wanting to see how I stacked up overall, age group etc. 

No regrets, lots of sweat, not enough water, but pleased with the effort and time.  I think I did good considering the Marathon is now only 2 weeks away.

Met the family just after I finished.  The 1st born had run the 8 miler, he rocked his last years time (1:22:13).  Today he did 1:04:53 - a 17 1/2 minute improvement.  His results were posted, he came 18th overall, 2nd in his (<19yrs) age group.  Oh to be 12 again - he did no training at all and kicked butt.

4 comments:

  1. Nice run Mr Knuckledragger - better weather than that race has seen in a while, but maybe a bit too warm??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it was warm, the breeze actually felt nice (coming in from the Sth), but w/ it at the back on the 2nd 1/2 of each lap it felt quite warm, plus I was parched. Still, I'll take todays conditions over 30 mph winds and 30 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to the warm conditions. I am ready for them.

    Hey - nice work. Good run, some things learned (water?) going into Ogden. What is the goal there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seemed like this was one of the first warm days to run - so with training in cooler weather, not even carrying water for 8, 10 miles hadn't really been a big deal. Learnt that there's a big difference between 40ish degrees and 70's.

    Ogden. That will take some putting into words. I'll likely write on that this week. Scatterbrained right now

    ReplyDelete