When I signed up a few weeks ago for it I had done so with the hope of running to beat my time from last year. That may or may not have happened - but we decided to take what little mystery out of that to see what the kid can do.
A few things led to this......
1) He did really well on the Greenland Trail 8 mile race a week ago, improving on his last years time by 17 1/2 minutes.
2) The training gives us something to do this Summer together.
3) We are still planning on hiking the Peak in a few weeks - that will give him an
4) I ran it last year in 2:20 and change. The age group record for the 10 - 12 age group is 22 minutes slower than what I did. We think that is reachable for him.
5) He is 12, loves to run and (his words) loves running up hills.
6) If he doesn't get the record this year - he will still have 2 years in his age group to try beat it.