Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tempo / ladder / speed / fartlek / run / thingy

I read a book last year which stated something along the lines of "If you want to run faster, then you need to run faster".  Being one to appreciate common sense - not necessarily practicing it - I am trying to run faster, by running faster.
Yesterday (Monday) afternoon I did a tempo / ladder / speed / fartlek / run / thingy - with the dual goal of trying to go faster, while not throwing up - but sort of trying to get close.

Started near the Bijou bridge on the Pikes Peak Greenway and did a warm up mile, then a mile at a 7 pace, followed by 3/4 mile at easy pace.  Pushed then for another 3/4 mile at 6:50 pace. 

So far so good.  3 1/2 miles, was handling it okay, turned around - now heading South & slightly downhill.  Next 1/2 mile at recovery pace.  Time to turn it up - next 1/2 mile at 6:35 pace.  Took the next 1/4 mile at a dawdle - trying to catch my breath and count my kidneys. 

Time for a full effort: the next 1/4 mile did at a 6:25 pace.   Almost busted a foo-foo valve on that one - but survived and the next 1/2 mile was at a pace or feeling to be described as "trying to stop the feeling that my teeth were bleeding".

With a mile and a half to go I then decided to push again for the next mile - did that in 7 minutes.  Finally the last 1/2 mile to recover - "pushing myself in a wheelbarrow" pace.

So, mission accomplished, I think. 
I ran faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment