Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A change of pace

The upcoming (4 race) Winter Distance Series just got potentially faster for me.  I was originally planning on running it w/ #11 - but she has indoor soccer games on two of the race days.  So plan B now goes into effect - I run with #12.  I'm looking forward to it - with curiosity.

I hope I can keep up.  I don't know if I can.  It's not so much a case of fitness - as I have a good base.  It is more of a case of ability.  I expect this year to be where he beats me more often than not - especially on the shorter distances (10K or less).

We will do some training together and have set a goal to at least beat his last years times.  That may or may not result in him getting any awards - which he really wants to.  Last year (when he was 11) he was beat out by three 14 year olds to come 4th overall - and was bummed about that because the year before - he actually came second - with slower times.

So, the mindset for him - at least what I have anyway - is that he / we learn that he cannot control much, if any, of how other people run - he is responsible for him.  I guess I am also.  I am also responsible for bragging on him - which I will do regardless of how he does.
In a few months the boy becomes a teenager - great googily moogly.  Not that the earlier part of his life was any less important - but this upcoming stage is needless to say - insert the appropriate word here: important, frightening, interesting, scary.

He's a good kid - does some questionable things at times - but don't we all.  Hopefully me spending more time w/ him out on the trails will be worth it.  I think it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment