Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

(Running) Core Values

This might won't be too deep.  I am after all just a knuckle dragging guy that is very ordinary and plain, most would accuse of being boring.

I don't drink, don't smoke, don't stay up late often and don't ever drive over the Speed limit don't get out much (to things like movies or nice restaurants).

I am married and we have 3 kids, a dog, a cat and a horse.  My kids are spoiled, we probably watch too much TV and don't take enough family vacations.

If you asked me what our "Family Values" are it may take a while for me to come up with a decent list - that is actually true and not just wishful thinking.

Before the end of this month I will have a birthday - it sucks to get older.  I don't necessarily have many regrets in my life, but if given the opportunity to be younger in order to do more stuff and do it better - that I would take.  It would be nice to be 24, 28 or thereabouts again.

Aside from doing fun stuff w/ my family - I enjoy running, especially on trails and usually I run alone.  For me, running has consequences both positive and negative. 

On the positive side, there is: better health, actually getting faster and stronger, enjoying the Colorado scenery and achieving some goals.
On the negative side: it hurts sometimes usually,  it takes up time that I could be spending with my family, it costs money to enter races and running shoes aren't cheap either.

I think I may have a mid life crisis soon.  Maybe that is an excuse to go buy a fancy shmansy sports car.  My wife wouldn't let me do that, rightfully so.  Maybe my planned / expected mid life crisis is more of a realization that I am getting older and so is my family - so if time and stuff with them is neglected - then I will never get it back.

So, some priorities for me, with my family, have been going through my mind recently.  I'm trying to do things with more of a clear perspective on the "bigger picture".  Being a self confessed knuckledragging niff norf - I'll fail at times, probably often.

Times that I will not fail (hopefully) will be when my family is fully the #1 priority.  Then, when I can get out for a run - to run w/ a clearer purpose, be done and then come back home.

In the past couple of months I have been trying to run more purposed, meaning each run has a reason / goal.  Sure I am training for races and so my runs are training: hills sometimes, tempos for others, as well as some long endurance building runs.  But less "just running".

I'm running less days each week, but running a little longer on each of those runs - this has resulted in running only 4 or at the most 5 times a week.  I've got up to 50+ miles for 2 of the past 3 weeks.  This week though is looking like only about 30 to 35.  It's a little difficult to accept that mentally, but I think I am okay with that.

The other "core" thing that I have been working on is my core.  That midsection thingy / part of me that stores Ice Cream, jelly beans and chocolate quite well.  I've cut back some (not much - but at least it is some) and have been working on core-strengthening exercises.  I've found that is helping me feel and also run better.  I'm also weighing less than I have in a while.

So, that's where I am - at least for today.  Trying to be a better knuckledragger person, with a core that matters, that core being 4 people at home - whether they all will admit it or not: who love me for who I am and who look up to me to set an example for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment