Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Picking up the Slack - er

Signed up the wife, #12 and myself for the Slacker half marathon in mid June.

About this time of year, 3 years ago, my wife said to me out of the blue one day something along the lines of "I want to run a 1/2 marathon".  I said something like: "good for you, I used to run a bit, maybe I should run with you".

And so we started running, sometimes together, other times not.  We picked out the Slacker because it was almost all downhill - and because neither of us had done any running in many years - we needed all the help we could get.

On race day we did the whole thing together and beat her goal of doing it in 2 hours.  It was fun and we were hooked - the running has continued since.  (Albeit w/ a knee surgery for each of us that forced some time off).

The next year (2010) we did it again - this time with our son.  I went on ahead of them while they ran the first few miles together until he got itchy feet and took off (eventually winning his age group).  I did really well for the first 12 miles - with an elevation drop of about 2200'.  The last mile winds it's way through Georgetown and has some rolling sections.  I don't know exactly how long that last mile took me but I blew up and walked at least a third of it and came to a complete standstill a couple of times.  My legs were shot.  I still finished in 1:36 something - still is my 1/2 marathon PR.

We didn't do it last year - but we are heading back this year and all 3 of us are looking to PR.  Not sure if it will help w/ Pike Peak marathon training but it is about 8 weeks before that - so it shouldn't damper training too much.  I have revenge / redemption and a new PR goal to aim for - especially on that last mile.

2 comments:

  1. Revenge run is good ;-) Awesome that it has become a family affair Craig - good luck on the PR's!

    ReplyDelete