Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Greenland Trail Hill repeats

I was planning to do this run on Tuesday but didn't due to snowy weather and was interested in taking 2 days rest after Sunday (19 miler) - my left foot arch is giving me some minor grief.

Wednesday's weather was much better, but woke up to 10+ inches of snow at my house, drove near Greenland on my way in to the Springs and figured about 6 inches average on the trail.  With a good sunny day I knew a good meltdown was in store - but still expected to (literally) run into it later in the afternoon / early evening.

The plan was to park at the County line trailhead and jog along the old road a mile to the bottom of the hill where the race goes up the longest / steepest section of the loop - then go up a mile at a decent clip, amble back down - then do it twice more.

Trail conditions varied, mix of snow covered, muddy spots, sticky spots and dryish.  Probably slowed me somewhat on the upwards journey each time, but I was pleased later to look and see faster times for each mile as I went (9:01, 8:37, 8:27).

On race day, I'm figuring that if I can go up that mile in under 8:30 I will be doing fairly well.

I'll probably do these again each week and likely tack on a 1/2 mile to the top of the saddle again as I get closer to race day.  Will probably also do several more laps of the whole course to get better at each section.  Also leaning towards doing a weekly steady tempo run (on Friday afternoons possibly) - set a time / pace per mile and stick to it the whole way.

I think it is accurate to say that this race is starting to consume me - I have and will put a lot more training into it - hopefully it will result in a good time on race day.  2 years ago I came 11th overall (217 finishers) - my best finish / place in any race ever. 

I'll be a little disappointed if I don't get a similar result / place.  But then I have to tell myself that ultimately I can't control that too much and are really only responsible for how I do.  I need to focus on training, pushing hard and running a smart race based upon training when the day comes.  So, I will throw myself at it and hope / expect to do well.

8 miles total on the day.  No further damage on the foot, but still niggling at me.  While running I did take some photos - nothing really scenic, moreso just to show the trail / conditions......

Near the County Line Rd trailhead

Soon after the start of going up the hill

I'm standing at my turnaround point - 1 mile from the bottom of the hill

Back at the top of the hill - about to go back down to the bottom / where I started


No comments:

Post a Comment