Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Running with Scissors - my running year



My year of running had a chunk cut out of it - literally.

In 2011 I turned 43 years old, but I think my body aged more than that. I was diagnosed w/ Rheumatoid Arthritis - specifically in my knees, wrists and lower back. According to the doc there are about a hundred different types of Arthritis. Mine comes and goes - flaring up somewhat inconsistently, when it does in my knees I usually lay low for 2 to 3 days.

It was discovered as a result of Arthroscopic knee surgery for a torn miniscus in the middle of Summer. Despite that, 5 weeks after surgery I proved to myself that amongst other traits that I have - I am at least determined - I did the Pikes Peak Ascent in under 4 hours.

All told, I ran almost 1500 miles this year, including over 120,000' of vertical gain.  I set PR's in 5K, 10K, 25K and Marathon (in Ogden, Utah).  All achievements that I am proud of.

I started Blogging in April this year, making some new (online) friends - whom I am hoping to meet this next year.  My blog detailed my running, my body woes, my family - who are also runners.  So, the blog was used to brag on their achievements.  This next year - that is likely to continue as my wife is recovering from ACL surgery and getting back into running, my 3 kids are growing up and still enjoying running - doing well most times also.

On the blog front I must say that I have been suprised that my 2nd most popular post has been on Bagpipes.  A little odd - but so are bagpipes, maybe that is why I am drawn to them.

So what lies ahead for 2012?  Don't know for sure - one I thing I would like to do - keep running, with less scissors, maybe be a bagpipe playing, superhero runner - like Mr Spjorn in this video.

2 comments:

  1. Scissors are banned from your running in 2012 - time for a good year on the feet!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn that video is excellent (the second one). Happy times in the 0-1-2. Hope our paths cross to share some strides. And 5 weeks post surgery ... = balls.

    ReplyDelete