Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Friday, December 9, 2011

Dreaming of a sandy (beach) Christmas (in NZ)

Don't get me wrong, I love the beauty of Colorado.  Winter time is very spectacular - especially when we have a bunch of snow.  Wind I could do without, but to be able to see the mountains, trees and (most days) clear blue skies is really special.

Colorado Christmas is nothing like New Zealand at Christmas.  It is early Summer there.  Beaches, b-b-q's, beautiful in it's own way.  One thing that New Zealand has is a lot more beaches than Colorado has.  Growing up there we spent a lot of summer time on the beach.  I do miss being able to get to the beach.

With that being said, having lived in the US for almost 20 years now, I like the "Winter Christmas" over the "Summer Christmas".  Along with the snow covered trees are the Christmas decorations - especially those not overdone
or half done.
My family and I like to see the lights and there are a few nights we go out cruising neighborhoods just to see the lights.

I get e-mails every so often from Air New Zealand - inviting me to come visit.  Yesterday was one of those times.  My family has the big family reunion coming up there next year at Christmas time.  By then it will be 6 years since I and my own family have made it.

So, curiously I went to their website and checked to see how much it would cost to go.  The answer was not pretty.  The best deal is to fly Christmas Eve / Day or New Years Eve / Day - then come back home any day in January.  (Add an extra $500 per person to travel on different days)

Cost per person (round trip) from LA was $1186.  That may seen okay to some.  However, that doesn't get us from CO to LAX.  Nor does it get us anywhere or do anything in NZ.  Add all that up for a family of 5 and we get somewhere around (conservatively) $8000 or possibly up to $10K.

Now, I'm not afraid of a 10K - have done plenty and will likely do more.  But when a 10K becomes 10 thousand - dollars.  Yikes.

Now if we were not to do anything as a family for next year, no soccer, no piano lessons, no other trips, no birthdays, no new clothes or toys, no food or water, no (gulp) running events - we could likely pay for 2 or 3 of us to go.

Unfortunately - doesn't look like we are going to make it.  Sorry Mum.  So, instead - I'll just have to dream of a sandy beach in New Zealand along with the other pretty scenary there, all the while enjoying Winter in Colorado.


I guess there is the option of a one way ticket....

No comments:

Post a Comment