Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Cathedral Pines Huff n Puff Fun Run

Woke up this morning and Winter was in full effect, 6+ inches of snow on the ground and wind blowing it all sideways.  So, was a great day for a run.

Was not in a hurry to get out though, 14 degrees and windchill kind of keeping me inside.  Jumped online and happened upon the Pikes Peak Road Runners Website and saw there was a 5K fun run a few miles away from me in Cathedral Pines (in Black Forest).

That would be out of the wind somewhat - eh, why not - not much else to do on a lazy, snowy Saturday.

I headed out arriving 10 minutes before race time (11 am).  Signed up, warmed up real quick.  Start was delayed about 15 minutes which helped - mostly to get used to the brisk conditions.

Was a little less breezy but plenty of snow still flying.  This was going to be fun.  No more than 25 people showed up.  At the start line we were told it was only a 1 1/2 mile course that got marked.  No biggie, I decided I'll probably do a 2nd lap.

Started at the Cathedral Pines Welcome center and wandered around some (well marked) trails.  Some slight rollers made it a little tough for those of us without much traction.  A lot of fun, I forgot to bring my watch but as I passed the finish line they called out 13:30 something.

I kept going and did another lap with the winner of the race.  He told me he had clocked 1.6 miles for the first lap.  On the second lap the snow had stopped falling, was still breezy - but running in the snow is a blast.

Took only 2 photos - one before the race start, one shortly after I did my 2nd lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment