Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Barr Trail Mtn Race revisted

A couple of weeks ago I ran the Summer Roundup Trail Run course.  Kind of a revenge run as I did it earlier in the year at a hobble due to the torn meniscus.

Late yesterday I set my sights on Barr Trail - the race earlier this Summer happened 4 days after my knee surgery, so I could not do it.   Weather conditions yesterday were a little dicey so I didn't know if I would or should try go all the way up to Barr Camp.

Starting off at the Cog Depot in 54 degrees, light rain and gusty winds - I began, with a woolly hat and gloves just in case - that proved to be a smart choice later.  It was never hazardous - but was snowy and windy at times up higher.

I did not do well at all up through the W's.  Both calves were squawking - a lot - to the point where I was walking a lot and stopped several times to try stretch them out.   Not sure if it was the cold weather, more likely the climbing uphill was more of a factor.

Near the rock arch where it is more exposed, the wind was kicking up and a few snow flurries were hurtling around.  Hat, gloves were now on but the calves were starting to feel better - so I was able to run more.  And then there was the scenary, was probably a week or so after the peak of the leaves turning - but still was nice to look at.  I stopped several times for pictures.
Some of those were just before and after the No Name creek aid station.  About 3 1/2 miles into the run as it "flattens out" a little was when the snow flurries started to become a little more thicker.  But by this time I was feeling and running better - plus it is not as steep, so I was moving at a decent speed.  I kept going.

Between the top of the W's to Barr Camp (and back) I saw only 1 other person.  It was like I had the whole Mountain to myself - and I liked it.

Stopped / slowed a few more times for photos.....
Finally made it up the 6 1/2 miles to Barr camp in 1:47:30 and stopped inside for a couple of minutes to empty the shoes.  Not the greatest time - but still not too bad.  Was almost 6pm when I left there - knew I needed to push fairly hard to get back down to avoid darkness.  The good thing was that skies had begun to clear and the wind was dying down.

So off I went - and to my pleasant surprise my knees did not give me any grief for most, if not all, of the way down.   I didn't see anyone else till about 3 switchbacks into the W's and I was cruising, feeling good.  Made it all the way down and decided to even go up Hydro Street to the finish line of the race course.  52 1/2 minutes down - only 5 minutes slower than when I had done it in the race last year.

Total time was 2:40.  Very happy with that.  I might see if I can do it again in the upcoming weeks - mostly to see if I can get up to Barr Camp quicker.  I should be able to as I was not having much luck with the calves for the first 3 miles - they are a little tender today.


  1. Thanks for sharing those shots. I don't get down to the peak this time of year, so it is cool to see that same trail I know in summer at this autumnal, winter point.

  2. It is really different: Summer / now. I'm sure it will be even more different in a couple of months.

  3. Great pics Craig - glad you had a nice revisit with the Barr after the forced "cancellation" this summer. I guess we came home to winter.....