Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

RICE and brief PPA thought

Since surgery - I have been pretty good with the RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation).  Been off the meds since Saturday.  Last Sunday I did overdo the amount of time not off my feet, by the time I got home the knee was aching and noticeably swollen, but it was worth it watching my son rocking the BTMR.

I am becoming more and more mobile, can drive fairly comfortably - albeit cheating w/ cruise control as often as I can and doing the left foot brake thing at times.  I am able to walk okay, limping less, still going slow.  Stairs are a challenge, especially going down.  My right lower quad has been really tender since surgery, maybe due to lack of use for a few days, don't know why - that is what barks the most when doing stairs.  The knee really doesn't hurt much at all - sometimes it feels like it is gears grinding a bit, but RICE helps with that.  I have noticed my other leg and foot - likely due to overcompensating and probable overuse - are sore.  But as I become more mobile and able to evenly distribute my weight, things are balancing out.

(Knee) surgery was a week ago - post op appointment w/ Dr. Jones is on Thursday morning.  I am no doctor - but if you asked me about doing the Ascent in 4 1/2 weeks - then I think I can do it.  When I signed up I entered an estimated time of 3:40 - with the recent surgery and the knee grief leading up to it - I would have told you a week and a half ago I had changed my goal time to probably 6 hours - the cut off time is 6 1/2. 

Today - goal is now 4:40.  That may change - depending on Dr directions on if allowed to and how much to push it, I will play it smart with recovery responsibilities that the Doc gives me.   Training for it is going to be very, very limited.  The good thing is I only signed up for the Ascent and not the Marathon - if I was faced with going up and down - I would pull the plug now.

1 comment:

  1. Itching to run, are we??? Hope the visit with Doc goes well. Still amazed the little guy rocked that race like he did....

    ReplyDelete