Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Barr Trail Mtn Race report

After a poor nights sleep, we were up just after 5, fed and on the road by 5:30.  I had drove a lap of our circle the day before, so was up to the task this morning, plus I have been able to walk - at least on level ground - without crutches for a day.  I did take one crutch w/ me, knowing nothing was going to be level today.  As always, parking from the Cog is a little remote, but we got up to the start line with almost 20 minutes to spare.

I left #12 at the start - #12 was my son's race day bib number, was also the 12th annual race - and of course the kid is 12 - stars may have aligned. A last reminder to him that the first few miles were where he needs to take it easy, being a tough start to the course.  Then I hobbled up through the parking lot, up Barr Trail to where the trails merge, getting there within a minute of when the runners started coming through.  #12 came through probably about 1/3 of the group.  Looked okay, I thought he may have been pushing to hard to be so far up the group.

After everyone came through I took forever to go back down, back to the finish line to wait, texting updates to the home front and do a slow bake - was a toasty day for the race.  #12 asked to wear my garmin for the race - just took a look at the data for him.  He got split times at top of the W's, Barr Camp and finish.

Splits: 29:24 top of W's.  93:40 to Barr Camp and 51:45 down.  109th place, 351 finishers. Official time 2:25:29

Our initial reaction, (okay my initial reaction), was shock, pride and more shock.  May have to drug test the oatmeal - he broke the previous 10 - 14 age group record by about 17 1/2 minutes.  At the awards ceremony found out a 14 yr old did a 2:19 something.  #12 is a little bummed, we are so ready for these 14 year olds to get out his age group.  But overall, very impressed and proud to call him mine.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome - Tell #12 we are proud of him! On second thought, don't test the oatmeal, just tell us where you are buying it and it can be a secret ;-)

    How is the wound recovering??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a bit more than irked with myself that I did not do something to specifically meet up with you. Congrats to the dozen little man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HT's - top secret Oatmeal (Wal-Mart special maybe?).

    GZ - I was the guy with the crutch, you must have been the sweaty guy I was looking for. No big deal - we'll meet up.

    Thanks for the thanks for the kid - as I type, he is outside playing soccer w/ his sisters. Me - I'm icing up a swollen, but recovering knee. Is progressing well I think, Doc visit was pushed from last Friday to next Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that's a very impressive time for #12. Tell him Congrats for me. Sorry I didn't get to talk to you at the race. Next time for sure. Good to hear the knee is recovering well.

    ReplyDelete