Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday fluff

Some random stuff......
* The latest indication that I am getting old: last night at dinner, chatting away with the family, talking with my wife about what we are going to take with us during the race - I mentioned that I will not be taking my walkman.
Full disclosure, I don't own a walkman anymore.  I do however own an ipod.  I don't ever call it a walkman - but last night I apparently did.
My children looked at me like I was speaking a different language.  Youngest daughter asked: "What is a walkman?"  I had to explain what it was.  Oldest daughter responded: "Oh, I thought it might be someone who walks alongside you when you are running slow."

* Speaking of different languages.  My son went to the library earlier this week and brought home a device that is basically a book on tape / digital recording.  I don't remember what the device is called, but it is like an ipod.  The name of the book / recording: "Speaking Italian for Dummies".  Apparently he wants to learn a new language this Summer.  I think it is just a teenage boy's ploy to get an accent that teenage girls admire and swoon after.  Hey, being from New Zealand - it worked for me when I moved to the US.

* I go to see the Chiropractor every couple of weeks - have been doing so for about 1 1/2 years now (started going after a car accident - rear ended by a Trash truck).  I don't know if I am in the best shape of my life right now, but I am in the best shape I have been in a while - thanks to running, eating (mostly) better and I really think going to get cracked has helped too.  So, shout out and big thanks to Dr. Harvey for my continued improvement.

* I have a Garmin Nuvi - GPS for the road - yesterday it froze - despite unplugging it several times and trying to restart it - still froze on the start up.  Bummer.  I let it sit overnight, still nothing - I believe it has spoken it's last "recalculating" so patiently to me - despite my constant ignoring of the directions - because I know a shortcut.  Probably time to get a new one.  I've had this one for about 4 years.  I literally feel lost without it.

* Slacker Half Marathon tomorrow.  Really looking forward to it.  3 goals:
C) beat my PR (also set there, 2 years ago) of 1:36:06
B) Run 7 min mile average for a finish time of 1:31:30
A) Go nuts and beat 1:30 (6:53 pace - yikes, that's going to hurt)
Race report Monday assuming I can walk / type / see straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment