Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Bumping, Barking and Body Clocks

Not a big fan of the EST.  Tried to go to sleep earlyish last night so as to get up and run w/ the crowd this am.  After tossing and turning for an hour or so to no avail I was just drifting off when the little one did some drifting of her own - drifted out of bed onto the floor.  A nice loud noise, a bit of a lump on the forehead - she slept right through it.  I want her ability to sleep.

She may have slept through it - but a nearby dog didn't.  It barked and barked and barked some more.  Then more of the same.    Please stop.  Bark, bark, bark, bark, bark.  Enough already.  Bark, bark, bark.  Went on for 1/2 hour or so.  Bark, bark, bark - you get the idea.   I realize as I get older if I don't get enough rest I get cranky.  If you add a barking dog to the mix - and I'm usually okay with dogs - that keeps me awake, Daddy is not a happy camper.

I decided about then to not bother waking up early to run w/ the crew.  Instead to wake up whenever and run either by myself or the first born.

The runners left at 7:30 ish, I got up shortly after, the rest of my family still sleeping (the kiddos never heard the dog) and after putzing around for a bit I geared up and hit the trail.  The plan from the night before was that most people were going to do a longer run.  So, I figured giving them a 40 minute headstart I may catch them by the end.  Didn't happen.  They ended up doing the same run as yesterday.

I did 7.2 miles.  Some good rolling hills involved including a couple of steep ones that were 1/3 to 1/2 mile long w/ about 300' of climbing involved for each.   Started on a trail, full of leaves (nice) - then was on some back (paved) roads for the majority of it.  Despite all the pavement it was a good run and brings the weekly total (for the third week in a row) to 35 miles.

The run cleared my head - not so cranky anymore.  Although if I see a dog around later, that might change. 

Kids are bored out of their minds.  I'm a little of the same.  There is only so much to talk to "Uncle Steve" or "Aunt Kathy" about when you only see them once every year or so.  So we may head into Williamsport later to see where they have the LLWS - not that any of my kids care about baseball.  Maybe we will find a Walmart.  It's nice to get away some times - but there is something about home.

1 comment:

  1. This post has me cracking up on many fronts. As they say, comedy is taking the familiar and presenting it in a humorous way. This is all way too familiar.

    ReplyDelete