Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Thursday, August 9, 2012

PP Marathon training - tempo test

According to my self prescribed (don't know if I really have much of a clue of what I am doing) training schedule for the big race - this week began the taper period.  On second / third / fourth look at it - going from 50 miles per week to 40 for this week ain't much of a taper. 

Side note - I plan on only 20 miles during the week before race day next weekend.

Another side note - long range forecast has chance for showers next Saturday, dry on Sunday:
Back to the point of my post..... This week I am running less overall miles, yet focusing in on some good hard runs.  Tuesday I got back up to the Summit and went down 4 miles, wiping out (minor, just a little blood here and there) only once (hmmm - I sense a theme of what happens when I lose concentration for a moment).  Then turned around and went back up.  Good, improved pace both directions.  I really think the high altitude training has been good for me.

Yesterday early evening I went back to the Greenland trail, have not been there since May, for my last 8 mile tempo run.  But also with my eye on seeing if I could break my previous best time there: 61 minutes, 22 seconds.  An 8 mile loop w/ over 500' elevation gain = good test.

However, before I even started I was already making mental and physical excuses: too hot (upper 80's), too tired (day before had over 2800' vertical gain - all above 11,000'), too bad.  I needed to try hard, putting forth a good effort and get this run in.

Result: despite really suffering, especially towards the end in the last 2 miles and slowing as a result / not having anything left to push with - I beat my old best time by a whopping 6 seconds.  Still, pleased with that and was kind of left thinking if I wasn't quite so tired I should be able to beat that time too - yet not really caring about trying to anytime soon.  So, the new PR is 61:16.  Still don't think I can get under 60 minutes, but sub 61 is doable.

On tap is another tapering suffering run this afternoon - doing the one minute madness repeats up Barr Trail from the Cog Railroad.   Then the real taper begins, albeit after a testing 10 miler back up on the Summit on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment