Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Monday, August 13, 2012

PP Marathon training - H.A.T.

Woke up Sunday morning tired.  Weary.  I was planning on running an easy 5 miles.  Didn't.

This past Sunday morning indicated one week till the goal race of the year.  When I finally rolled out of bed, at the moment when my feet touched the floor, I decided that it doesn't really matter how much (or little) I run, or how hard, or where I run this week - the training is over.  Race day is getting closer, much closer.

My last long run on Saturday may have been a bit much.  Maybe not.  I didn't fall or get hurt, I didn't over exert myself, it just made me (more) tired.

My Saturday began by watching and cheering on my family in the local Panerathon 5K - insert bragging spot here: my 11 year old daughter took 1st place in her age group and my 7 year old daughter threw down a 34:10 time.  Not too shabby and makes a Daddy proud.

Then I drove up to the Summit for what I have written down in my training plan as H.A.T.  (High Altitude Training).  As mentioned, easy pace - down 4 miles, then back up 3 miles.  Turned and went down another mile, then back up to the Summit for the top 2 miles.

10 miles on the day, just under 2 1/2 hours and just over 3500' of elevation gain.  40 miles on the week w/ over 9400' vertical gain.  That, coming after a lot of training leading up to this thing, was the reason I didn't run Sunday, nor will I today.

The plan for this week: 6 miles Tuesday, 5 on Wed, 4 on Thurs, rest days on Friday & Saturday - and that's it (Race day Sunday). My body is thanking me for these 2 rest days.  This time next week - my body likely will not be thanking me.

No comments:

Post a Comment