Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

On a new track

Did some track work yesterday - I have run on a track probably less than a dozen times in my life.  I much prefer running off track / on trails - but are going to add it in to my mix to try generate some speed - at least going into the Slacker Half Marathon in 4 1/2 weeks.

Track running in my mind is similar to Treadmill running or mice running in those silly wheels.

I'm a little clueless admittedly - to the point where I wasn't exactly sure if 1600 meters is longer than a mile - but know that a lap is 400 meters, therefore 4 laps = 1600 meters, close to a mile and that is probably a good distance to work on, along with other less distances / fewer laps.

So, armed with not enough water (what's new), a decent case of cranky arthritis in the knees flaring up, and did I mention it was 88 degrees - I set off.

4 laps warm up then 4 laps pushing the pace - for a time of 6:28.  Not quite Olympic standards.  In fact - I think that is probably considered awful - that's how I felt after it, along with not being able to see straight.

Didn't stop there.  Did 4 very slow recovery laps, then picked up the pace again for 3 more laps.  Just to show how ridiculous this was - my average pace was 15 seconds slower for those 3 laps then the 4 lapper. 

I was a little parched / wobbly / bout ready to pass out - but pressed on and did 3 laps very slow to try to recover.  Did I mention that it was 88 degrees out?  Phew.

Next up: a 2 lapper, that's 800 meters, 1 lap less than before - surely I can do that at a quicker pace than the 3 or 4 lappers.  Answer: no.  Same pace as the 3 lapper - and I only managed to get it "down" to that pace with an all out, tongue failing sprint for the last 50 feet or so.

Wow, was I spent - I finished off the last of my water - little help that was - and stumbled / shuffled around the track 2 more times. 

I wasn't done yet - still had some suffering planned and next up was a 1 lapper.  With a bit of a second wind, my time for that 400 was 1:30 - much improved on the previous pace averages.  Just for fun - lets compare that with the World Record..

I think that makes me over twice as slow as the World Record. 

Almost done, after another easy lap, much of it walking, I did 1/2 lap at "all that was left" pace, followed by another of the same distance and effort. Finally finishing it all off with 2 different attempts at 100 meters - with some recoveries in between.

My 200's were 42 seconds and 40 seconds.
My 100's were 17 seconds and then 18 seconds.

Now I know that is about as interesting to most people as watching paint dry - likely slower than that.  But my point is - I am not fast at all and I have a lot of work to do if I want to get faster.

Or I might just quit and stick to running on trails and in the shade.

No comments:

Post a Comment