Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The younger days

It was just a few months ago - meaning this Spring when I was in good shape - when 9 minute miles felt kind of slow to me. The last few weeks on most of my runs, 9 minute miles is about as good as it gets.  I can go faster, but not for very long.  My reality is I ain't young no more.  Not much comes easy - if it does, it sure does not come very fast.

I'm mostly okay with that however.  Two reasons: 1) at least I can run, for which I am grateful. 2) Faster times and pace will (hopefully / eventually) come. I'm okay with just putting in miles now. Don't need to, don't want to add speed and miles at the same time - avoiding overcooking.

For the second week in a row, I have run 2 days in a row, sort of.  Trying a trick on myself.  Ran early Monday morning (7.5 miles at 9 min pace) and then again this evening - 6 miles with those 4 1/4 mile hill repeats again.  Overall average was again 9 min miles.  Spreading out the back to back days runs to more like a day and a half apart seemed to work out for me.

The hill repeats tonight were better than last Thursday.  Taking the average from the 4 tonight and comparing to last week was 7 seconds faster average.  Cool weather, it was also nearly completely dark, lightly raining and I had a bit of a nose bleed for a few miles. 

By the time I got home inside I was a bit of a mess - took the wet shirt off and lay on the floor.  My oldest daughter noticed a scar on my belly - from where I had my appendix taken out a few years back. "Daddy", she asked, "is that where they took out your independix?"

A little later, was tucking into bed my youngest daughter (she is 6) and I asked how her day was. Her immediate response - without blinking an eye, quote: "Drew (also 6) has a crush on me, but he was doing his homework so I just gave him a hug anyway".  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry - or have words with this Drew kid at her school.

Bought a new tune for the ipod - catchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment