Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

10K+ and Waldo Canyon

School District (38) Fun Run this Saturday (Starts at LP High School at 9 am).  A 5k and 10K, starts at the same time.   Not signed up yet, not sure who in the family is doing it or which distance.  Possible that I run the 5k w/ one of the kids and as they finish I continue with the 10k.  I enjoy running with my kids, I think they still like running with me.

Tuesday late afternoon I ran what I thought was the full course according to the event website.  First 5k was right around 3.1 miles, however the next 5k was 3.9 miles - and had a decent 300+ foot climb.  So, maybe I didn't get the course right.  In any case, it's for a good cause as we have all 3 kids in school and their school's get partial proceeds.  So hopefully there will be a good turnout - for this inaugural event.

Yesterday I ran Waldo Canyon - has been several years since I had been in there, in fact I remember having to piggyback the smallest of our kids for a lot of it when we were there years ago.  We also never made it all the way round the loop - going only about a quarter mile of it (takes about 1 3/4 miles to get to the loop start).

So, I ran it yesterday not really knowing what I was getting into - the sign at the trailhead says 6.2 miles.  It is more like 7.  Sensing a theme for the last 2 days: 6.2 mile course actually being 7.  No big deal as I took my time, albeit some reason for that was the decent climbing necessary.  But finished in 1:18 and change. 

Probably should have taken water with me as it was warm and I usually carry water if I am going over an hour.  But as mentioned, I didn't push too hard and enjoyed the trail and views.  Not too many hikers on the trail, once I got away from Hwy 24 it was quite peaceful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment