Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Weekend adventures in knuckledragging

So I live by myself during the week - any number of words can be used to describe how that is.

When it comes to weekends - I have my kids and it is awesome.  Now that soccer season is over paused - we get to do whatever we like, and we like to get out and explore.  This weekend was our first time out in months due to a busy soccer schedule since February.

I started my weekend on the treadmill - before my sleeping beauties woke up.  On tap was a combo 8 mile tempo / climbing run.  This is the 3rd time I have done this, adding more speed and climb each time.  First 3 miles at a 7:30 pace (0% grade) and then the fun misery begun.  Went to 15% grade for the next 30 minutes and literally hung on for dear life (without holding on).  Speed slowed dramatically and before long I was at 18 min pace.  As things progressed I went to 1 minute of running, followed by 1 minute of walking.  Ended up grinding out just over 1.6 miles this way.  Finished up the 8 miles at 0% grade and had speeds of about 8 min down to 7:30 avg.  Needless to say the legs were wobbly after that.  Tough run.

After the troops woke up and we ate breakfast we targeted nearby Mt Herman for our hike.  I had run around the base of it once before with Steve about a year or so ago, but I had never been up on top of it before.  I also didn't know where the trail(s) to it were - so we drove up Mt Herman road a few miles until we came to an easy to miss trailhead.  We would have missed it if it wasn't for a couple of cars parked.
So, we got out, a sign post marked "Trail 716" seemed promising.  Just over a mile later, with over 1100' of gain we made it up top.  A little breezy up there - but great views.





 No hike is complete with my peeps that doesn't have us running down part or most of the trails.  So, what took us 40 minutes to get up, took us 1/2 that time to come back down.  It was fun.  That one goes in the books to do again.  Of course we had to be rewarded for our journey - so frozen yogurt at "In the Moo" was our reward of choice.  And then some swimming.   I have just incorporated swimming into my training and it is tough, tiring and hopefully good for me.  Trying hard not to swim like an empty bottle (float around for a while, gradually taking on water and eventually sinking).

On Sunday, after an easy 2 miles (9 min pace, 0% grade) on the treadmill, followed by more swimming - the kids and I joined a group of people and played soccer for a few hours.  I tried to hide in goal but that didn't work out very well.  More swimming was needed after that.

Monday morning rolled around and I got out early to try to beat the heat - plus also went to a regular fitness test loop - the Greenland Trail / 8 miles.  What a tough slog.  Was hoping for a 64 minute loop but my whole body was revolting against the idea.  Managed a 67:30 for the day, only a 480 something foot climb which is usually fairly comfortable, but today I was just worn out.  Tuesday will be a much needed rest day - with maybe some swimming and a ride on the bike.




No comments:

Post a Comment