Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Running the Continental Divide

So, I finished the Turkey Tracks Trail 1/2 marathon on Saturday and felt really good.  I wasn't planning on driving home till the next day so I chillaxed for a few hours, went for a swim, drove to Durango about 45 minutes away and checked that out.  Cool town.

On Sunday I woke to a thick, smoke filled sky from a nearby fire on the San Juan Mountains.  I took a few minutes to wander around Pagosa Springs, then headed East at a casual, tourist pace.
 



I had picked up the local tourist guide and scoped out some sights to see and noticed some trails to explore.  20 minutes drive out of town along Highway 160 were 2 good tourist spots.  I stopped at a waterfall and hiked back off the road there 1/3 mile. 

Then 5 minutes up the road to an overlook with sweeping (albeit smoke filled) views to the West.

My sights were set on a trail near Wolf Creek Ski Fields, Trail 813, the top of Wolf Pass: the Continental Divide Trail.  Streching from Mexico, through the USA and up into Canada.  3100 miles of trails and a few dirt roads.  The section where I was is one of the better marked and identifiable trails.
I took my water bottle, camera and jogged off.  Out and back to an undetermined point along the trail.  I would go till I either ran out of water or was eaten by wildlife.  6.75 miles later I came back to my car.  In between: 1400' of Elevation gain, an Ascent of Alberta Peak (11,820'), one scared Elk that I startled - he also startled me cause neither of us saw the other one coming, a view of a fairly newly burning wildfire, traversing the top of Wolf Creek Ski area and a bunch of photos.  An awesome run.





















No comments:

Post a Comment