Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Black Forest fire - in my neighborhood

"Oh no!" - I walked out of my office in NW Colorado Springs, looked NE and the Black Forest Fire had just started.  I drove speedily to my house which is approx. 8 - 10 miles Northeast of where the fire started.  Fairly soon after I got there, several local roads were closed down.  My family was getting nervous, watching homes burn on live TV.  I bounced between watching TV and going outside to monitor the wind direction and of course looking constantly at the increasing smoke cloud.  As the afternoon wore on with temperatures in mid 90's and steady winds pushing the flames, the fire grew rapidly through the heavily forested area, destroying dozens of homes and burning thousands of acres.
View from the roof of my house at 4pm (looking South)
By late afternoon and into the early evening the winds had changed directions - initially they were blowing the fire directly towards us - they turned to come from the West, and the fire went to our South.  Aside from losing power - my family is safe.  

View from a nearby road at 7pm (looking South)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thursday morning update - an aerial view seen this morning from a news helicopter showed my house, with helicopters dropping water on trees nearby, approx. less than a 1/2 mile away.

Feeling a little numb right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment