Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Friday, October 5, 2012

Easing back ain't easy

Came across one of the better New Zealand videos on Youtube.....

As for my back - I have been cleared and encouraged by the doc to start exercising again - limited to walking and easy stretching exercises for now.  Hoping to start some light jogging by next week sometime.

Went for a 2 1/2 mile slow walk w/ my wife last evening - by far the longest distance I have done in weeks, in fact it was only the second walk of over a mile.  While walking, she asked me about a return to running - which got me to thinking and realizing that the further I get away from running the bigger the pendulum swings.

On one extreme is a desire to get back into it with increased effort, amping up weekly mileage above what I have ever done before, run longer distances and do bigger events / races.

Yet on the other extreme is a desire to do absolutely nothing except get fat and lazy.   It sure is easier to put on 5 pounds than to lose 5 pounds.

Admittedly - while not running it has been easier to do the 2nd option.  However, while doing nothing but eating and being - the result is that it sends me down the mental path of mild guilt - which then swings the mental pendulum over to a desire to get out on a trail and run for 6 hours.

On a side note - w/ Fall in full swing and snow likely tonight - I am missing one of the prettier and favorite times of the year to be out running trails

An upcoming "dilemma": I am supposed to get a new pair of shoes next week to do a 3 week "wear test".  Not quite sure how I am going to pull that off - wondering if and how a "long run" is going to be viewed if it is only a slow jog down my driveway.

I think what I am likely to do is let another week go by of uselessness, chocolateness and fatness - then when I get the shoes next week - is to (at least try to) start running again.  Treating myself like a brand new runner.  Mapping out a 4 or 5 week schedule of gradually working back into a running routine.  Building back up a running / fitness base - while working off the waist base.

I was born and raised in New Zealand - but have lived in the US for 20 years now.  Like this running break - the longer I am away from New Zealand the bigger the pendulum swings are between an intense desire to drop everything and take a 1 way flight back there.  To the other extreme of wondering why would I ever want to go back "home"?

Well - to avoid songs like this:

3 comments:

  1. "It sure is easier to put on 5 pounds than to lose 5 pounds.

    Admittedly - while not running it has been easier to do the 2nd option. However, while doing nothing but eating and being - the result is that it sends me down the mental path of mild guilt - which then swings the mental pendulum over to a desire to get out on a trail and run for 6 hours."

    AMEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The return is a race itself. Get to Hydro street too fast and you will be fried for the rest of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering that a month ago, one of the options was "go under the knife", slow jog down my driveway is a really, really attractive scenario ;-) Glad you are coming along Craig!

    ReplyDelete