Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

31 5K's

Not a lot of logic went into this concept.  Most likely has been done before but I don't care. 

Why?  I want to / need to get back into running.  But I need to be careful to not jump back in and hurt myself by doing too much, too soon.  So - I came up with this.  I don't think I can be accused of coming back too fast, too soon if I can follow through on this.

I started this on Monday and here is what I am doing.....

Day 1: Walk 3 miles then Jog .1 miles
Day 2: Walk 2.9, then Jog .2
Day 3: Walk 2.8, then Jog .3
Day 4: Walk 2.7, then Jog .4
Day 5: Walk 2.6, then Jog .5

For the first week the walking is about an 18 1/2 minute per mile pace.  As each week goes by, walking pace will hopefully get faster - but really don't care if it does or doesn't.  For this week the jogging will be at a pace no faster than 10 min mile avg. 

On Saturdays and Sundays - nothing resembling the walk / run 5K plan.  Activities will include wandering around watching my kids soccer games and working on doing honey do lists.  I will also be doing some eliptical work and stationary biking on one or both weekend days.  As each weekend goes by, more time on Eliptical, more time on bike.

Week 2 - the pattern continues with each day being .1 mile less walking, adding .1 mile jogging.  This week I will be jogging a little faster on average - somewhere between 9 to 10 min mile pace.  If I find that is putting too much aches and pains on the back.  Then I will pull the plug and probably just shut it down.  Hopefully though, by doing the increasing ever so little at a time - I will be okay.  I guess I will find out.

Week 3 - same pattern, so by the end of the week (Fri, Oct 26th) - which will be 5K #15 - that day is 1.6 miles walking, followed by 1.5 miles slow running.  This week the pace goal will be 8:30 to 9 min mile averages.  (Likely still doing the same Sat / Sun routine)

Week 4 - same pattern, now I am running faster and further than I will be walking.  Average running pace goal during these 5 days of a 5K per day will be 8 min to 8 1/2 min mile pace.

Week 5 - likely to be colder by now and possibly snow on the ground.  Although my desire will be to doing each 5K outside - I may have to resort to the treadmill.  Will still be following the pattern of decreasing walk length, while adding on run length.  So, on Monday I will walk 1 mile, then run 2.1 miles.  Tues: Walk .9 miles, run 2.2 miles - and so on..... Average pace this week will increase again and be faster (I hope) - aiming for 7:30 to 8 min average.

Week 6 - nearing the end and surely by now I will have either quit, forgot what I was planning on doing, or got bored and decided to climb Pikes Peak (not likely to happen).  But just in case I am still on track and still following my ridiculous plan - by Friday of this week it will be 5K #30.  I will just walk .1 miles and then run 3 miles at a 7 to 7:30 minute mile average pace.

Week 7 - or more specifically: the goal week.  Monday (November 19th) will be 5K #31.  No walking, just running the whole 5K.  Don't know how fast it will be.  Don't know if I will have followed the plan to get there.  If I can - I will try to go sub 7 pace.  If I can't - I won't.  If I do - will be happy.  If I have made it that far by sticking to the plan - I'll be a little surprised.

If it works out - a few days after 5K #31 - I will then run the local YMCA Turkey Trot 5K.  That may be with one or more of my kids, or maybe just by myself.  If I do run it - at least I know I should be able to finish.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a solid plan. I'll volunteer to pace that 5k run if you need a rabbit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve - you know the Turkey Trot is all on paved roads? Not much Happy bout that kind of trail :) But would fun to do a 5K alongside ya.

    GZ - I was thinking of doing each 5K on Barr Trail - not there yet though.

    ReplyDelete