Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Saturday, May 3, 2014

50K training Week 9

This was an ambitious week on tap for me, not just because I had 70 miles for the goal, most miles in a week for me ever - but to also do it in 4 runs.

Sunday: 12 miles.  Was a snowy morning with the foothills covered and flurries when I started.  From Northgate on Santa Fe up through Monument at an easy 8:55 pace, turned as the snow and wind picked up and came back at an 8:05 avg (wind and snow assisted).  Just a run, nothing to really work on aside from getting miles in when I could.

Monday: Happy Birthday to me (46, groan).  Off to Mt Herman, expecting to see snow from the day before, but very little evidence of it.  Fresh off a 9 1/2 minute PR on it just a few days prior I was curious to see if that was an anomaly.  Friday's PR also included a summit PR for me, but of course I had forgotten what that was by Monday - only remembering the lap time.  So when I summited in 33:46 I knew it was a decent time, just couldn't remember if it was a new best.  Turned out upon checking it out later that I had sliced about 30 seconds off Friday's time to the summit.
There was a little residual snow up top but nothing slippery so I was able to keep tracking at a decent clip.  As I was passing by a few other marker points along the trail where I did remember the previous run and the accompanying times I realized I was real close to Fridays effort.  Cool.  Mental boost.  I kept at it and low and behold ended up taking about 3/4 of a minute off Fridays time.  A new PR of 1:39.  Looking back at this run I think I could of actually made the summit a bit quicker, not just because I stopped to pee on the way up, but because I was expecting more snow and so I held back a bit to conserve for when snow may come and trail conditions would have slowed me down.  That never really happened.
So, all that to say, I think I could beat my summit and lap time still.  But that is for another day.

Tuesday: off

Wednesday:  Double Falcon.  26 miles.  Was a breezy and sometimes quite brisk run with temps not really threatening to get over 40 - especially the wind chill not getting up there.  First lap I went clockwise, not pushing hard, just trying to be steady - ended  up with a 2:06 lap, which was about a minute faster than last time I did a Double Falcon a couple of weeks ago.  Lap 2 I was a bit more fatigued than I wanted to be, both physically and mentally - I'd like to blame the wind, but it was more me than that.  So, lap 2 in the counter clockwise direction was closer to 2:10.  So a combined 2 lap total (along with a few laps of the parking lot to bring the total up to 26 miles) was 4:16.  About a minute slower than 2 weeks prior.  I'll call it being consistent rather than a run that shoulda, woulda, coulda been better.  Will look to do better next time in a couple of weeks when I have another crack at it.

Thursday: rest and recovery day.

Friday:  From Northgate on Santa Fe Trail, up past Monument, then through Palmer Lake and connected on to the Greenland Trail.  Followed that North to Kipps loop, where I went a mile up the saddle before turning and heading back the way I came.  Went out at an easy 9 minute average and then came back a little quicker because it was more downhill than up.  12 miles out and back makes 24 for the day and a time of 3:32 ish.  It started out cool but by the time I was done the temps were getting toasty. 

So, 70 miles for the week.  Felt like a good achievement to get 26 on Wed, then 24 on Friday.  Hopefully that will help build up the endurance-o-meter.  These next few weeks I am looking to work on that along with getting some more vertical in (Double Herman in the mix).  Speed / tempo?  Not likely.  Lots more miles?  Yup.  70 on tap again for this upcoming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment