Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Saturday, March 22, 2014

50K Training Week Three

This was another 55 mile training week for me, but I did it with one less run than last weeks 55 miler.

Monday started with a "Double Herman" - my first 2 lap effort of Mt Herman where it was an unknown to me as to what kind of time I could pull off.  I was expecting somewhere around 4:10 to 4:20 total time.  Conditions on the first lap were quite icy in many areas but I managed to be cautious and responsible and not fall on either lap.  By lap 2 the ice had softened in many areas so I could be a little less cautious and push further.  With the improving trail my second lap was actually 1 1/2 minutes faster than lap 2 - a nice bonus.  Even more-so was for the 16 miles I came in a minute under 4 hours and over 4800' of elevation gain.  So I am quite happy with that.

Tuesday was a rest day and I felt really good - no ill effects at all from Monday

Wednesday was a clockwise effort of the Falcon Trail (13 miles) and I was feeling quite good.  I purposefully decided to run by feel the first half lap up to the high point of the lap and was happily encouraged by a halfway split of 1:01:20.  I then felt good enough to get after it on the second half of the trail which was in nice shape.  I ended up running about a minute faster than ever for this 6 1/2 mile stretch.  Final total time was just under 1:54 which is my 2nd fastest time ever - in either direction.  I mark this down as a good sign of improving fitness and expect to do better in future runs.

Thursday was an easy 6 miles at 8:45 recovery pace on the Santa Fe Trail on a cool and crisp, beautiful early Spring morning.

Friday was a 20 miler also on the Santa Fe Trail, starting from the Woodmen Rd trail-head and up to almost Baptist Rd before turning and coming back.  I wanted to do a comfortable effort up and see what I had to work with on the way back.  Starting out with cold temperatures into a chilly wind blowing in my face from the North was difficult to get motivated but after about 7 or 8 miles the wind died down and temperatures gradually got warmer.  I settled into an 8:50 per mile pace for the 10 miles out.  Then on the way back I was feeling peppy so I picked up the effort and got down to 7:55 pace.  I held this quite strong for about 6 miles until both fatigue set in and the wind had by now shifted to be blowing from the South - stronger than it had been from the North a couple hours earlier.  Not very nice.  I struggled over the last 3 miles or so to not fall off my pace but still managed to keep the overall average for the final 10 miles to 8 minute pace.  Final time was just under 2:49 for the 20 miles.

So it was a good week with a 4 hour run, nearly 3 hour run, a 2 hour run and 1 other short run and on each of these I felt good and surpassed my loose expectations and hopes.  About 9 hours of running for the week to tally up the 55 miles.  Giving myself a reset / easy week next week - I have built these in every 4th week in this training block.  So far things are progressing well for the 50K race coming up in now 14 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment