Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Winter running fun

In the midst of a chilly and snowy patch of weather - it has not got above 0 degrees (F) today here today and we have had over a foot of snow fall in the past week - I have been determined to keep running outside.  Treadmill be damned.  Bundled I go.

Okay so this morning's 4 miler in -3 degrees with a windchill of minus 20 or so was a test, but once I turned around with the wind at my back I actually started to get too warm.  But Monday's 13 mile lap of Falcon Trail in 8 - 10 inches of snow was awesome, albeit a little slower than normal.

And then there was yesterday, my 8 mile loop of Mt Herman.  Last week I did it in 2 hours, almost half of that time is the first 1 1/3 miles in which almost 1500' of elevation gain takes place - last week was snow covered too.  But not like yesterday in which I was over knee deep in many places and averaging a foot deep of fluffy powder the whole way around.

Highlights had to be several faceplants - almost cartoon like one of them where I am fairly certain all but my feet were sticking out of a snow bank.  I had the trails almost all to myself, the occasional wildlife tracks crossed the paths at times.  Slow going, but so pretty.  After almost 3 hours I got back to my car exhausted and very hungry.  A stop at Rosies Diner on the way home helped with that.

Pictures don't do the run / hike / occasional crawling on all fours and awesome fun I had - justice. But here is what I took.....



Summit of Mt Herman (approx 9070')

The trail goes through here somewhere


Inside Limbaugh Canyon

Thank you Rosie's Diner

1 comment: