Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Friday, February 28, 2014

Review of the past few months and whats ahead in the months to come

This is a re-set week for me.  I've only run twice, going just over 20 miles for the week.  Prior to this week it's been 17 weeks of over 40 miles running per week, the last 7 have been 45+ miles.  My body, legs and mind have adapted well and as a result I am looking forward to now getting in to training for 2 goal races for the year.

The North Fork 50K is the last weekend of June and in early October I will make a trip to Chattanooga, TN for The Stump Jump 50K.  I'm really looking forward to both races with the Stump Jump being my priority, meaning that in training for the North Fork I will try to get training, rest, nutrition, hydration and pacing figured out.  Then adjust anything if necessary for Stump Jump later in the year.

Getting such a good base of miles I'm hoping will really translate well for training.  Normally at this time of the year I am doing about 20 -25 miles a week.  In fact comparing this year to date to last year - I have run well over 100 more miles already.  And my knees etc have done fine.

I have also been doing general other fitness stuff too.  Each day in January I did 100 push ups.  For February I did 100 Burpees each day.  These both started out really tough but as each month progressed I got stronger with them.  

So, starting next week I will ramp up the mileage gradually and see what happens.  Two places that I run have really contributed to current progress.  Falcon Trail 13 mile loop, and Mt Herman 8 mile loop (with 1600' or so of climbing in the first 1 1/3 mile).  They will continue to get my attention and before too long I will be doing double laps of them.  Sounds like fun.

No Pikes Peak Marathon or Ascent for me this year.  I achieved an age group award on the mountain last year and since then have not really had a desire to go back to try it again.  That may change in the years to come but as I get older and slower, I am enjoying running slower and longer and right now the 50K distance has a good appeal for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment