Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Of course I run off course

I don't think that I am directionally challenged - or I did think that.  Now I am wondering if I am not only losing my marbles, but I am losing my bearings. 

Last Sunday it was during a race - on a course that I have run before - where the pre-race instrucions were simple: "run with the reservoir always to your right".  Of course 7 miles into the race I was off course, nowhere near the reservoir, instead on a game trail, waist deep in tall grass, waking up wild turkeys who clearly had not seen any other people that morning.  I was definitely where I should not have been.  It ended up being a 1 1/3 mile detour.

Then there was today, somewhere between Manitou Springs and Crystal Park, when I was surrounded by nothing but scrub oak, not a trail anywhere close to me, sort of knowing how I got there and kind of knowing where I needed to be going.  Only I couldn't.  I heard a voice somewhere nearby yell out to me: "You're trespassing!  Turn around and go back".

I thought about dropping to the ground and hiding.  I couldn't see who was yelling at me, but they could clearly see me - hopefully not through a scope.  So I turned around and went back, I think.  I found a trail, sort of.  I meandered around trying not to trespass, trying not to be seen, trying to run.  Eventually I found a paved road and made my way back to Manitou Springs.  I had 10 miles, a few scratches and over 2 hours on the legs. 

I was a little frustrated and needed to run some more in a familiar place.  2 reasons: I wanted 22 miles on the day for my last long run before the 50K in 10 days.  The other reason: I needed to prove to myself that I was capable of running and not getting off course.

So I ran up Barr Trail to Bob's Road and back.  It's a trail that I have run on dozens of times before, one that I am familiar with, I have a comfort in knowing where it goes, how it goes and how long it goes for.

I got my 22 miles for the day in.  I ran / walked / hiked / wandered aimlesly for 4 1/2 hours.  I gained about 5200' feet of elevation.  By the time I was done I found where I parked.  I found my car keys.  I then found my way back to my apartment.  I was in familiar surroundings - not off course any more.

I have a big race coming up, I don't want to get lost and go off course on that.  It's not something to really plan for, but it is now certainly occupying space in my already occupied mind.  I was reminded today and last Sunday to pay attention to where I am when I am running.  I should look around and enjoy the scenery but also keep track of the track I am on. 

If I see a bunch of wild turkeys again or if I hear a booming voice yelling at me for trespassing - it is possible that I am having a directionally challenging moment.  I think it was Hansel and Gretl that left a trail of things behind them so as to know where they were.  Maybe I should do that to.

1 comment:

  1. The best thing about running is getting lost in your thoughts, not the physically getting lost part. I'm glad to hear that it isn't just me. haha.

    ReplyDelete