Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Barr Trail conditions for the race this Sunday

I was curious to see what yesterdays flash flood on nearby Highway 24 did to the Barr Trail, in light of the race coming up on Sunday.  I had already planned on running up to Barr Camp this morning, so it was both a training run and a "check the trail conditions" run.  Happy to report that the trail is in good shape and is dry almost the entire way.  No washouts or damage that I could see along the entire course.  The small stretch of water in the little creek bed about 1/5 mile below Barr Camp is a little wet - but no problem at all.

As for my run, I started a little below the Cog railway and went up about a 1/2 mile above Barr Camp - so as to get 14 miles in for my round trip.  Slow and steady on the way up, then easy back down.  Feeling definite weary legs from prior running days, round trip of 2:48 ish, 3900' elevation gain.  I had signed up to do the race with my son - but he has bagged out - his soccer addiction is consuming him, or his texting addiction, or just because he is 14.   Whatever, if he trained and ran it he would probably have beat me anyway.

I have not run the race since 2010 - when I did a 2:20 and change.  I'm hoping to get close to that this year but will be okay if I sneak under 2:30.  I'm feeling tired, not fully fit and treating it as training for PPM 5 weeks after where I am hoping to be in "peak" condition.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update and we'll see you out there on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See you Sunday GZ, have a good race.

    ReplyDelete