Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

First Barr Camp run

With sign up for the Pikes Peak Marathon tomorrow, I want to enter a realistic goal / finish time for it.  What better way than to run some of the course and then use Matt Carpenter's Pace Chart to give me a decent idea of a time to project / expect / dream of.

With an early tease of Spring for the past few days and the Mountain looking big and inviting......
..... I got a mid afternoon start yesterday.  I parked by Manitou City Hall, the start line for the race - in order to get accurate split times.

I then ran up to Barr Camp.
I have been to Barr Camp several times - so that was not a first.  Yesterday was the first time I ran the whole way.  A couple of exceptions - there are a few step ups that require a literal big step up.  There were also a few slickery sections where it was necessary to shuffle over the ice / snow.  Melting was in progress, still some ice though.

It wasn't a fast running pace - but there was no walking.  Plus, I made it to Barr Camp with a few seconds to spare before 2 hours.  Admittedly my earlier split times at the W's, No Name Creek, the 7.8 mile sign - all had me at a faster (projected) pace to summit.  But entering the time into the Skyrunners pace calculator - gave a projected summit time of 3:56.

While honestly hoping for a little better, I am quite excited because that is less than 8 minutes from my Ascent race time from last year.  According to the Pace Chart - the average Marathon time for a 3:56 Ascent is 6:24:59.  That will be what I enter tomorrow afternoon. 

If all goes to plan - I will beat that prediction on Race day.

After resting at Barr Camp for a few minutes I made my way down, went fairly easy until I came to the trail from the Incline where a guy joined the trail right behind me and pushed me a little faster.   It got my competitive juices going and I picked up the pace during the upper W's until I dropped him.  Then I eased back down into Manitou. 

Round trip time of 3:06 (watch was stopped at Barr Camp) - total distance 15.3 miles.  Very pleased with that. 

A few more photos from the down journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment