Defn: a human male displaying evidence of devolution - exhibits distinctive "caveman-like" tendencies. This man often dribbles in public places; cannot drink a beverage without spilling it on himself, the floor or someone else; may also run into objects like lampposts & bushes; has a definite "sloopish & short legged" running style that is slow and low to the ground, often resulting in the dragging of knuckles.

These throwback neanderthals, along with their questionable diet, should clearly be avoided.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Mt Herman

It's not the Incline in Manitou Springs but it is a good quick climb in a short distance - and it is closer to where I live.  With it raining this morning I almost stayed inside and ran on a treadmill - but decided instead to just enjoy the rain.

I added a layer and a woolly hat so as to not catch a cold and headed a few miles up the way from where I live to Mt Herman.  Parked in the lot at the North end of it and started my watch.  I had hiked on this trail once before a few weeks ago - although I did lose it once and ended up bush-whacking my way up to the Summit.   I kind of knew where I was going and knew it was no more than 1 1/2 miles to the Summit.

The rain actually made for good footing, the normally dusty and loose trail was quite firm and I really didn't slip much at all - going up or down.  I was able to pick up the main trail both up and down this time too.

The climb up was a good one - just over 1.25 miles, 1660 ' elevation gain.  I made it in 33:15.  Coming back down I was a little tentative, not wanting to slip - so I held back a little bit, but really not much.  Making the descent in 19:27.  Round trip time was 52:43.

So I now have a solid baseline time established for myself.  I'm not going to chase after beating it any time soon - but I would one day like to challenge a sub 30 ascent, maybe do a sub 15 minute descent.  Sub 45 minute round trip would be a challenge for me for sure.

It was a little wet, but quite enjoyable and a good bit of vertical training - albeit being only just over 2 1/2 miles for the round trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment